1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sick PC

Discussion in 'Hardware & Software' started by Bofor, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Bofor

Bofor Clan Member Donator

Dec 7, 2011
    Gravesend
    Noticed recently that my PC was hanging on the Gigabyte splash screen for a long time during boot up. Normally gone in a flash. Have two sticks of 4MB RAM tried boot up with each on their own in turn. No improvement and memory diagnostic ok. Reset cmos (battery out and shorted pins) and loaded defaults. No Change.
    Then noticed an HDD dissapeared from the list, normally 2 WD HDD's and 2 SSD's and DVD. Checked connections ok. Swapped affected HHD with DVD (what a mistake to make) and now neither the DVD nor the HDD listed Doh! Measured output of plugs open cct 12v and 5v supply ok but lack access to an oscilloscope now to check for AC ripple/spikes which may have damaged devices first the HDD and then the DVD?

Now boots at good speed without hanging with HDD and DVD disconnected but USB Mouse not working even in the cmos screens. Tried a another port but no dice. Looked through settings in cmos but cant identify anything that may be set wrong on default setup to prevent USB mouse working. Mouse is a TeckNet x8900. (Anker software)
    PSU is an Arctic 700.
    Mobo GA- Z77-DS3H rev1.1.
    CPU i7-3770K
    GPU GTX980Ti Hybrid

Am i missing something in the CMOS setup and/or has my PSU turned rogue? Could a virus affect detection of devices?

Need my mouse for my gaming fix. Strangely the keyboard also USB works fine.

2. Carduelis

Carduelis Clan Member Donator

Aug 9, 2014
    Benidorm
    As far as I know, no viruses can affect detection of devices on UEFI or BIOS checkings.

I've found that sometimes the USB controllers go mad.

Also a faulty SATA cable could make you crazy.

Try other SATA data cables also another power supply.

Also try with no graphics card attached.

Do a memory contact cleaning with any type of proper spray (CRC or so).

Check boot disk (SSD or HDD) integrity with proper utilities. HDDSCAN if you're using a HDD disk, or manufacturer's utilities if it is a SSD disk.

SSD disks go dead with no advice, unlike HDD disks does.

3. Bofor

Dec 7, 2011
    Gravesend
    Thanks Card. Carried out tests on boot disk SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB with their utilty and all good. Swapping the power and sata cable from the DVD to the faulty HDD and vice versa resulted in the once good DVD in becoming undetectable at the same time so I dont think its the Sata. Suggests power?
    I have tried my gaming mouse on my wifes Laptop and it shows the same as on my Rig - no pointer or left right button click but the fancy lights come on and the scroll wheel causes a slight up and down movement as it currently does on my rig. I have found an old wireless :( keyboard and mouse combo that works but response is too poor for gaming but allows normal use.

looking like the PSU may have caused damage to the two drives and my mouse. I might try without the GFX card using the on board gfx but i think its probably better to get a replacement PSU first. Unless you think the GFX card could have a fault which could fritz the PSU which in turn caused spikes to damage these items.

Dont use the DVD much now, but will probably replace. Think I had the storage HDD backed up externally but no doubt i'll be puzzling what was on it for ages. Have to also get a new mouse. Until I get an uprated PSU I will use my rig sparingly.

4. 2olde2sloe

2olde2sloe Clan Member Donator

Jul 14, 2016
    Albuquerque
    Dammit! I wish I knew what you geeks are going on about. :confused: Then I might be able to change out my HD with an SSD and not loose all my stuff.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  5. Bofor

Dec 7, 2011
    Gravesend
    Should be back in the Game tonight. YAY!

More for 2Old. Checked the PSU with HWmonitor software and when running FurMark or 3D mark the 12 volt rail dipped to 11.5 volts from 12.2volts. Which is within limits but shows well loaded and the specs for PSU show only 22A per 12volt rail of which there are two. My GFX has a high demand and I had spread the load evenly but with other devices the total load was probably running max on both which increases the chance of damage caused by Mains side surges. Will invest in a surge protection mains adapter. I know I should have done it before.

New PSU has a single 12v 63A rail and 5v 24A, 3.3v 24A which is a better distribution for my Rig. 12v Rail now monitors from 12.1v down to 11.8v much more stable and with room in hand to smooth out input surges. New PSU is also Modular. Just cable what you need and the cables match the components getting rid of all those adapters from Molex plugs. Much neater and better air flow. Will bench test old PSU later to see if its worth keeping as backup or for a less demanding PC.

Still have to remove, Test and if possible recover dead HDD DATA and DVD.

The Old TechNet mouse is Terminal. The budget mouse I have obtained is a Zelotes T90 and has several DPI settings adjustable in game from 1000 up to 9200 also polling can be switched from 250Hz to 500Hz. There is no software as with the Technet to change buttons or settings. Having trouble at the moment getting a balance between mouse sensitivity in game, dpi setting and polling rate. Enemy runs past and I am either streets behind or have nearly spun through 360 and I am shooting at thin air. Took me long enough to stop the damn thing flashing different colours. One thing it has which I wont use is a fire button next to the left mouse button. It seems you can tap this and your gun fires twice Hold it down for 2 secs and then after it will fire three times. 2 secs restores to twice. Tried it on an empty server. I see this as a macro button and unfair, but if Mice are being sold with this feature players are going to see it as normal and ok. Thoughts?

6. Carduelis

Aug 9, 2014
    Benidorm
    Happy to hear you fixed it, I really prefer single rail PSUs.

7. 2olde2sloe

Jul 14, 2016
    Albuquerque

8. 2olde2sloe

Jul 14, 2016
    Albuquerque
    Show offs! You're just saying that stuff to make me feel dumb. In fact, I think it's all made up.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  9. Soldier1357

Soldier1357 Clan Member Donator

Oct 27, 2013
    Swindon
    i have no idea on anything you all said, so my contibution is as follows

Kebabs

sgt_kendall likes this.
  10. Carduelis

Aug 9, 2014
    Benidorm