1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free protection against ransomware

Discussion in 'Hardware & Software' started by Carduelis, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Carduelis

Carduelis Clan Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Benidorm
    In my job I find many customers who are attacked by the ransomware virus that encrypts the files, despite warnings about precautions on Internet use also about emails that are clearly traps to redirect you to sites that do not have nothing to do with the subject indicated in the message (a fake invoice from the electric company, for example). And despite the fact that some people are attacked more than twice, they do not use the necessary efforts to protect themselves effectively (hardware firewalls, backups in other branches or in the cloud, etc). Since the most dangerous virus is the user itself.

Nowadays it's not enough to make a backup copy of the data and save it on a pendrive or an external disk, since it must also be borne in mind that if a virus encrypts the whole hard drive(s), and it will lose all the configuration (Internet security certificates, licensed programs that can not be reinstalled due to not having the key) apart from the configuration of the operating system and applications (configuration of email, network, printers, peripherals) which can take many hours of work to be able to restore it correctly and even then there will always be something that could not be recovered or reinstalled. In certain sectors it's a big problem to loose absolutely all, for example in hotels, hospitals, etc.

To protect our computers at home there are several FREE tools that we can use.

Acronis Ransomware works in the background and detects unusual and suspicious activities and stop them. Also you have 5Gb of free cloud storage for free.
    https://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/free-data-protection/

Another background utility comes from Kaspersky but I don't recommend it because I've found that it can freeze some computers. No free storage provided.
    https://www.kaspersky.com/anti-ransomware-tool

And the more interesting utility, similar to Acronis Backup (Acronis is not for free), is Veeam. It's a FREE software that makes local backups in any disk (internal or USB) and, the same as Acronis, it takes a "photo" of the whole computer and allows you to restore it completely if you suffer a virus attack or your hard disk is dead. It does a full backup and then incrementals. You can schedule the hour and day of the task. It automatically can be programmed to "eject" the USB disk to prevent to be infected by a virus in case we have the pendrive inserted in the computer all the day. It's a very useful tool.
    https://www.veeam.com/windows-endpoint-server-backup-free.html

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    feldmeyer likes this.
  2. Bofor

Bofor Clan Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Gravesend
    Thanks for the info Card. I keep my antivirus updated and employ the firewall and keep my backup drive offline but these guys are always upto new tricks, even the most careful of us can slip up and suffer data loss and have to start afresh. It has not happpened to me yet, but a new tool in the defensive arsenal is always welcome.

3. Carduelis

Carduelis Clan Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Benidorm
    I strongly recommend Veeam backup software, it's free and you can backup your whole computer and even restore it from booting from a pendrive (the utility makes a bootable pendrive and includes your PC's drivers to ensure you can restore the system).

4. sgt_kendall

sgt_kendall Clan Member

Oct 8, 2013
    omaha
    yeah like you know about computers lol. Thanks for the good info. Ransomware will ruin your computer, all your pictures, contacts, etc. Excellent advice !!!!!!